Sure, there are a ton of syncing and cloud storage systems out there. But reconciling them with the multiplicity of devices you carry is a hassle.
Enter Younity, a new freeware cloud service available today Windows, Apple OS X, Apple iOS and Google Android. It’s free for now, anyway — and it comes from the heavily funded startup Entangled Media, based in Southern California.
The focus here, reps say, is on a unifying storage system for data you’ve stored across devices. Younity provides a storage and syncing system for all your pictures, songs, files and so on — wherever they are — and treats all your data as if it comes from a single device, reps claim.
The fact that it’s free makes it an intriguing entry compared to Apple iCloud, Dropbox and other systems.
The company is set to unveil a premium pricing plan in coming weeks or months, so get it while the getting’s good. Let us know what you think, too.
As for the upcoming premium pricing plan, it’ll be different than the typical cloud storage provider’s pricing. That is, it’ll be based on the number of devices you use, not the amount of data you store, reps add.
Sounds like a plan.
If there’s a catch, it’s that all devices synced via Younity must be “on” for this solution to work.
That’s a small hassle compared to the hassles with the paid-for alternatives when you’re dealing with multiple devices. Also, the speed of the system is entirely dependent on the connection — yours and the one at the other end. We’ll be taking a deep look at this solution here at aNewDomain.net.
In the meantime, check out this list of investors the company provided on its website today.
- Founder of LegalZoom and @Shoedazzle
- Investor in @Xfire Gaming. Advisor to @Social Annex.
- Portfolio Manager, Equities, Scoggin Capital. 15 year hedge fund investor. Tech, media, telecom focus. IPO experience. Angel investor and advisor.
- Founder of @Oakview Group – Invests in and assists early stage companies
- President, Gramercy Fund, angel investment firm; active director; biz dev operating experience
- SVP – New Ventures at @Toys R Us Inc. Previously SVP – Global eCommerce. Advisor to various co’s. interested in all things related to retail and consumer tech.
Oh reeaahehehelly ? I have another cloud option?
Thanks for sharing, Gina!